Monday 19 April 2010

Is swearing offensive?
















Who gives a s@*t!



Swearing is most commonly used as an expression of anger, however I think that modern day swearing is part of most peoples vocabulary.Children swearing is terrible. There is nothing more cringeful then hearing the words F@"* come out of a kids mouth. I worked in a primary school before starting university and it was'nt uncommon to hear this such language coming out of 5 year olds mouths in the playground and even in the classroom. Don't get me wrong I'm not a prude but I find it totally inappropriate to hear children swearing. It is obviously what they are hearing at home or on TV and it is such a shame as it spoils their innocence.

I was bought up with the belief that it was rude to swear as a child as it showed a lack of respect for the person you were talking to.To be honest I don't think until recently I have ever heard either of my parents swear. My dad has had a couple of strokes and after the first one he tended to swear quite liberally, this was apparently due to the part of the brain that had been affected it was'nt intentional on my dads part, but it was shocking to hear them spill out of his mouth , I didnt know he knew such words.



Joking apart why do we swear? Who actually decided that certain words were bad words?

Most researchers have agreed that swearing came from early forms of magic words believing that spoken words had power. This following link tells you a bit about how swearing works.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/swearing.htm

UK psychologists believe that folloeing some scientific studies that swearing can withstand some perception of pain. A group of psychology researchers at Keele university conducted a study on pain and use of offensive language follow this link to find out more.

http://www.thestudyvoxecho.co.uk/articles/93/1/when-it-is-ok-to-swear/page1.html

Under certain forms of stress I suppose we do swear and as life in modern society is a lot more stressful then it was about twenty years ago, maybe that is the reason that swearing is a part of everyday vocabulary.





So adults please remember the next time you stub your toe its good to swear!

No comments:

Post a Comment